Wednesday, March 5, 2014

If you attended a lecture or presentation...

Describe the lecture or presentation, and write a response to it. Include an answer to this question: What did the experience make you wonder, consider, or ask yourself? Also note the lecture/presentation's location. (200 words minimum)

1 comment:

  1. I went to a lecture at the Hood Museum of Art. It was a presentation for studio art students, as well as the general public. The presentation was by an architect named Andrew Kudless. He discussed projects that he had created, and talked about the challenges and surprises he found.

    Most of the pieces of "architecture" that he had created looked, to me, more like "art" pieces (which made sense, as this was a presentation at the Hood). But the more he discussed these projects, the more I could see that the process for designing these pieces of art was very similar to the process for designing a building.

    I went to this lecture because I would like to become an architect, and this lecture gave me an even greater understanding of the amount of different avenues there are to architecture. Andrew Kudless obviously took to the more artistic side of architecture.

    One of the most interesting things, to me, was hearing about all the things that Kudless hadn’t considered before he began building a project. There are so many things to think about when designing. Especially when using electronic software to create models, as Kudless did, there are things that are not accounted for in the digital models.

    Kudless also discussed a few points that are essential to being a good architect. One of them was “craftsmanship.” He said that architects need to spend time building with their hands and learning about tools and materials. Another of the points was “intensive prototyping: learning through making.” He discussed how he, as a professor, always has his students make something within their first month of classes. This is essential because it gives the students confidence and takes them out of the abstract and into the physical. I thought that both those points were very interesting.

    Attending this lecture made me think about whether, as an architect, I would take the more artistic route or the more traditional route. I know that I would like to design houses, but I think it would be really interesting to design some more artistic pieces for the houses I may design. I really enjoyed the lecture, and I hope to attend more presentations on architecture in the future.





    Andrew Kudless’ website: http://matsysdesign.com/

    ReplyDelete